Friday, September 19, 2008

The Faithfulness of Divine Love because the Lord is my Shepherd

Dear Friends,

Thanks for stopping by my Fearfully Fabulous Friday and Then Sing My Souls Saturday.

For Fearfully Fabulous Friday I wish to share this encouraging portion from CH Spurgeon's devotional, Morning and Evening, February 28, Evening.

The Faithfulness of Divine Love

“The barrel of meal wasted not, neither did the cruse of oil fail, according to the word of the Lord, which he spake by Elijah.” 1 Kings 17:16

See the faithfulness of divine love. You observe that this woman had daily necessities.

She had herself and her son to feed in a time of famine; and now, in addition, the prophet Elijah was to be fed too. But though the need was threefold, yet the supply of meal wasted not, for she had a constant supply. Each day she made calls upon the barrel, but yet each day it remained the same.

You, dear reader, have daily necessities, and because they come so frequently, you are apt to fear that the barrel of meal will one day be empty, and the cruse of oil will fail you. Rest assured that, according to the Word of God, this shall not be the case. Each day, though it bring its trouble, shall bring its help; and though you should live to outnumber the years of Methuselah, and though your needs should be as many as the sands of the seashore, yet shall God’s grace and mercy last through all your necessities, and you shall never know a real lack.

For three long years, in this widow’s days, the heavens never saw a cloud, and the stars never wept a holy tear of dew upon the wicked earth: famine, and desolation, and death, made the land a howling wilderness, but this woman never was hungry, but always joyful in abundance.

So shall it be with you. You shall see the sinner’s hope perish, for he trusts his native strength; you shall see the proud Pharisee’s confidence totter, for he builds his hope upon the sand; you shall see even your own schemes blasted and withered, but you yourself shall find that your place of defence shall be the munition of rocks: “Your bread shall be given you, and your water shall be sure.”

Better have God for your guardian, than the Bank of England for your possession. You might spend the wealth of the Indies, but the infinite riches of God you can never exhaust.
In the midst of much economic uncertainties, natural disasters and afflicting illnesses, thank God that we can rest in the faithfulness of His Divine Love!


For Then Sing My Souls Saturday I am sharing this "The Lord is My Shepherd" video which is posted on YouTube. This is one of my favorite Psalm and I am reminded of it daily now. Thank God that the Lord Jesus Christ is our Shepherd and we shall not want/lack!



Psalm 23 (Scottish Metrical Psalter)

1 The Lord's my shepherd, I'll not want.
2 He makes me down to lie
In pastures green: he leadeth me
the quiet waters by.

3 My soul he doth restore again;
and me to walk doth make
Within the paths of righteousness,
ev'n for his own name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk in death's dark vale,
yet will I fear none ill:
For thou art with me; and thy rod
and staff me comfort still.

5 My table thou hast furnished
in presence of my foes;
My head thou dost with oil anoint,
and my cup overflows.

6 Goodness and mercy all my life
shall surely follow me:
And in God's house for evermore
my dwelling-place shall be.


May the knowledge that the Lord is our Shepherd and He will provide for all our needs brings peace, comfort and assurance to us everyday as we look to Him, Who loved us and gave His life for us.

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever." Psalm 23:6

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you have a blessed weekend!

For more participants of Fearfully Fabulous Friday, do visit Jill.

For more participants of Then Sing My Souls Saturday, do visit Amy Wyatt.

Psalm 23
(King James Bible)

1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nancie,

AMEN! I love that Psalm too! After the long night I had trust me that brings much comfort to me today too!

I love all that you shared today!

THANK YOU for blessing us all so much with your heart made of His love!

Hugs and blessings dear one!
Jill

Anonymous said...

Nancie,

What a comfort to read this post today. I spoke with many of my family members yesterday who are in much distress and I kept assuring them that same truth...God is in control.

What a beautiful Psalm! What a beautiful song! What a beautiful heart you have! Praise the Lord for you, Nancie!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this comforting post. WE must all keep in mind whose we are when the news is so mind blowing with economy fears. Thank you for this encouragement.

Anonymous said...

I adore Psalm 23... it is so restful to think about it all... how God is with us and loves us so much He restores us as we spend time with him.

Thanks for sharing.
God Bless! :)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed that post Nancie. I pray we all can always remember the truths in that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancie - I love Spurgeon. I have had this on my mind lately about the widow and the jar of oil not running dry. I can't tell you how much this spoke to my heart. Thank you dear sister. Bless you!

Anonymous said...

Dear Nancie,
Just wanted to drop by and say "Hi, hope you're doing well and wish you a happy and healthy weekend."

Susan

Anonymous said...

Psalm 23 is always sung beutifully in any version. I always am doubly grateful that I have the Lord as my shepherd so I shall fear not.
Thank you, Nancie. You always have the right words in making God's words easy to understand and enjoy.

Anonymous said...

I needed that encouragement today. I have always loved the 23 Psalm. What wonderful truths that we can claim and hold on to. Thank you so much sharing that beautiful song as well. I love it!

Blessings

Anonymous said...

Blessings my friend Nancie...I am so glad that you combined FFF & TSMSS again so that you join us on Saturday and bless Jill & her meme on Friday.

I tried to read and listen to Psalm 23 last night at midnight...it did not work. Video ran but I had no sound...Spurgeon was way too deep
last night for me to wrap my mind around. But this morning I had the light and was very blessed by this seed and devotional.

I pray that in these times the Lord
will continue to provide for the faithful with His mercies, divine love that meets all our daily necessities...a joyful abundance.

This certainly was a wise choice in
all that is taking place in the world. Just as you said!!! Your words of faith and hope are inspirational. I hope that you have stopped over and brought home all the blessings I had to give you this week...because you know that
I find your More Than Conquerors and friendship because of our common bond to be priceless in all
you offer me through your writing & resources! We draw from the same well!!! His Living Water flows within and bubbles forth many times of mania...but the Peace of Psalm 23 being sheep in His Shepherd care
makes me feel very assured and secure.

Thank you for sharing your song &
devotional!But your own words speak volumes to me! You are a treasure!
God loves you & so do I! May you enjoy TSMSS & your weekend! May the day of the Lord bless you with His rest and peace!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the encouraging words. And I loved that beautiful video.

Anonymous said...

I have so much I want to thank you for!

FOR this beautiful post. A reminder that everything is going to be ok. He will take care of us no matter what, just put our trust in Him, and the blessing you are to all your friends!

FOR visiting and leaving words of hello and encouragements!

FOR putting a clock on your site, it is so nice to know what time it is at your home....I've always wondered :)

THANK you for being you!

You are always in my prayers :)

God's love to you, my friend!